Monday, January 12, 2009

Yea, me!

Last week had a very cool moment for me (and my parents). It was the 38th Annual City Manager Awards. Since the Scottsdale Center for the Arts is under rennovation, we held it at the Scottsdale Stadium. Yes, outside - in the morning - in January. Brrr. Only in Arizona, right?

It was pretty fun - and all baseball themed (you know, being on a baseball field and all . . . ) My friend and co-worker Kevin had saved seats in the front - with a blanket - and I was happy to oblige and share the blanket. Little did I know it was a ploy to get me up front and out of the way so my boss could sneak my parents into the stands.

Lots of cool people got cool awards. I'm never not interested in hearing all of the things people accomplish while at their city jobs. I mean, we serve people. Needs are met - and it's our JOB. It's really cool and there are some pretty amazing people I'm priviledged to work with.

Then they got to the Drinkwater Award. From the press release: "The Drinkwater award, in its 11th year, goes annually to a Scottsdale city employee or employees who set an outstanding example through their volunteerism and dedication to serving others."

Mayor Manross began to describe the recipient - and IT WAS ME. When I got up to receive the award, I heard my parents going crazy. They had a GREAT time and were so proud. I'm so happy that despite my crazy mid-20s, I still managed to grow into someone they could be proud of. My dad cried. I love that. I love them so much.

I'm pretty humbled. I mean, Charity Chicks has been my heart and soul for a long time. I'm so pleased at how people get energized and that I can help make a difference in this world. And yet, I don't do THAT much. I've seen Oprah's Angels Network - I don't do nearly enough. But I am driven to make 2009 an amazing year!

I am happy to be honored and it was a special moment for my family.

Amy on stage


Super cool award


Look what my parents had left in my house when I got home


http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/HR/amazing/cityawards.asp

5 comments:

kim•ber•ly said...

That is so cool! Congratulations.

Lily & Lilacs said...

Congrats Amy! (and love those sexy boots you're wearing LOL) One of these days I hope my schedule allows me to join one of the Charity Chicks functions - you're doing great things! Great to know that someone like you is in the city I live in!! -Stephanie (Alex's sis)

Laura said...

Awesome! Congratulations! :-)

cheapblueguitar said...

Way to go Amy! w00t!

Geggie said...

Hey! Congratulations on THIS too! You really rock. Nice to have an employer that appreciates you, huh?